How to post videos to LinkedIn and maximise user engagement
Promoting content purely through the use of text and images can quickly make the reader disinterested in the content you are trying to promote. By using video, you lose the “non-human” feel and it allows viewers to gain a much better understanding of your products and services. On top of that, videos get 82% more engagement on LinkedIn in comparison to a post with just text or photos. Additionally, people also retain more information when watching a video.
How to post videos to LinkedIn
On your LinkedIn home page, find the “Start a post” and click on the “video” button.
A page will pop up on your screen and your computer’s folder will open. Select the video you want to upload. You will then have to add a title to your video. Use keywords because LinkedIn will use this to know who to show your video to.
You can then scroll down and play the video to check it’s the correct one. If you continue scrolling you will find 2 very important sections. The first one is the thumbnail. This is the picture that appears before people press play on the video across LinkedIn. Make sure it calls attention and will make people want to click on it. The second section is the video captions. This is important because an average of 80% of videos on LinkedIn are watched without audio. To easily add captions, go to a website like rev.com, follow their instructions and once you get the SRT file, add it to the post on LinkedIn, the captions will automatically be added to the video.
You are almost done, now you just have to choose if you would like to narrow down your audience or show the video to everyone. There is a button on the top left of the page where you can choose either one of these options.
You can choose either “anyone” or “targeted audience”. If you choose targeted audience, a page will show up where you can choose who you want to see the video.
Once you have done this, fill in the description of the video. Remember to use keywords, the same ones you used in the title of the video if possible. Now you should add some hashtags, we would recommend up to 5. Make sure they are keywords that relate to the topic of the post.
Now you are ready to click “post” and make your video go live!
Here are 10 tips to make sure your video brings big results!
- Engage the viewer in the first couple of seconds. It is easy to scroll past a video, you only have a couple of seconds to convince the viewer to stop scrolling and watch the video.
- Focus on quality over quantity. You don’t want to flood your followers feed with videos that don’t provide value. Make sure you create good quality content that people will want to watch.
- Post native videos. It is easy to just paste a link from YouTube or Vimeo but doing so will get minimal engagement. Follow the steps above to post a native video and increase engagement.
- Plan for no audio. As mentioned above, 80% of videos on LinkedIn are played without audio. Make sure your video is entertaining to watch without audio.
- Most people are using LinkedIn on a vertical screen. The best format for video is 1×1. Square videos on average perform better than other formats. You can also use the extra space to add subtitles.
- Create a conversation. One important part of maximising engagement on your post is getting people to engage with it. LinkedIn’s notifies peoples connections when they interact with a post. By bringing up a problem and asking them a question about it, you can get many people to comment or react to the video, which will increase the engagement.
- Add a call to action at the end of your videos. Choose one thing you would like to get from the video and use the end of the video to achieve it. Most people ask for a follow or to visit their website.